Part 1 of the Vstep writing skill requires interactive writing, which is to write a letter or email of about 120 words in length.
- Time: 20 minutes
- Part 1 accounts for 1/3 of the total score of the test.
II. Classification of types of letter writing
- If we divide according to the recipient, we divide the message into 2 types: formal or informal.
- If divided according to the purpose of writing the letter, the letter is divided into many different types, of which there are some main forms as follows:
- Thank you letter
- Advice letter
- Request letters
- Application letter
- Complaint letters
- Invitation letters
- Apology letters
III. Steps to write a letter
To achieve good results for your letter, follow these steps sequentially. Please note the reasonable time allocation for letter writing. Candidates should spend a maximum of 20 minutes on this essay.
Before writing (3-5 minutes) analyze the topic and make an outline
- Read the topic carefully to determine what type of letter the letter is: formal or informal, the purpose of writing the letter is to (thank you, provide information, request…)
- Identify the question in the passage to know the main ideas to answer. It is not necessary to answer the comments in order of topics, but it is important to arrange in logical order.
While writing (13 minutes)
- Use a detailed outline to write a complete letter. Be careful about paragraphing, using linking words, writing complex sentences, and using lots of fixed phrases. (collocation).
After writing (2 minutes)
- Check the letter. Take a moment to check for spelling and grammatical errors, if any.
IV. The scoring criteria for letter writing:
Sufficient length (120 words)
Answer all the main points required
Use language appropriate to the type of message
There is a reasonable division
There are ideas and connections between paragraphs
Using a lot of fixed phrases
No vocabulary mistakes
Using a lot of complex sentences
No grammar mistakes
V. Vstep writing practice test - Part 1
Practice your letter writing with topics and answers bellow: